Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Featured Green Business: The Clean Green Bag Co.

I learned something new about shopping bags. All along, I thought by using paper bags I was making a greener choice. Not so. According to "The Facts" enumerated on www.cleangreenbags.com:
"plastic bags consume 40% less energy to produce than paper pags, and
plastic bags generate 80% less solid waste than paper bags.
as waste, paper bags produce 70 times more air
pollutants than plastic bags, and
as waste, paper bags produce 50 times more water
pollutants than plastic bags.
Plastic takes up to 1,000 years to decompose!"

I often forget my reusable cloth bags when I do my grocery shopping, but after reading this website, I will make a greater effort to remember them. Read "The Alternative" page for international success stories about reducing consumption of paper and plastic bags.

Anyone care to comment on this information?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish more stores like IKEA would "force" people to bring their own bags. IKEA just implemented charging 5 cents a plastic bag. That adds up and if it gets even 25% of the people to reuse and remember canvas bags imagine the landfill savings.