Wednesday, May 02, 2007

It's the Little Things

Native Verbena blooming in neglected fields makes me smile. Butterflies resting on my Four Nerve Daisy remind me the interconnectedness of me to my garden, to wildlife, to nature's processes. Each time I see new growth on my basil or rosemary or mixed greens I feel I'm reconnecting with my farming roots. (Pun intended, :-) These simple pleasures pick me up when I'm feeling tired or stressed out or downright confused.

Recently our projects and we have received accolades and recognition. I appreciate the folks who nominated us as much as the awards themselves. We love what we do, but it's also nice to get a pat on the back once in a while.

Last night one of our clients in Richardson emailed that his landscape has won "Yard of the Month" in his neighborhood. Wow! We had discussed recently photographing his project for our portfolio, and he wanted to let us know the YOTM sign will be installed this week. Thinking about it, I find I'm smiling at my computer. To some this might be a small accomplishment but to me it's part of something huge--it's one piece of the Blackland Prairie that has been partially restored. It's one project of many that represents our local natural beauty in a residential context; it demonstrates that a native plant landscape CAN be natural yet conform to community standards. It's colorful and vibrant, and survives on significantly less water than the neighbors' landscapes. It's organic and low-maintenance.

A cultural shift has begun...

No comments: